A very good summarizing article about the capabilities of DataFromSky and how the advanced image data processing is contributing to optimize the urban mobility has been published on LinkedIn. Several use cases in which the data from the sky might be helpful are described by this article:
– possibility of analyzing the traffic node in terms of traffic safety – based on the detection of risky situations, near accidents and collisions
– analysis of interaction of vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians in public areas such as in surroundings of schools, city centers, bus and train stations etc.
– studies of parking lots utilization, behavior of vehicles in a carpark
– and many other applications which you can think about
To summarize, the greatest benefits of traffic research from the aerial video using advanced software for image processing are:
A) Accurate and detailed data about traffic from the bird’s eye perspective:
– complete trajectory and moving patterns of each traffic participant
– complex OD- matrix – vehicle counts, turning movements
– speed and acceleration profile of each vehicle
– vehicle classification into categories (car / heavy vehicle / bus, / motorcycle etc.)
– measurement of travel time and stationary time (queuing time)
– advanced heatmaps based on the velocity, acceleration, traffic flow
– evaluation of traffic safety (detection of near accidents based on calculation of Time to Collision [TTC], detection of risky situations or inappropriate driving behavior, heavy breaking)
B) Reliable, detailed research without influencing traffic behavior (inconspicuous solution).
C) Ultimate traffic research, almost without a human intervention – based on the machine learning and DNN.
D) Powerful tool which can improve traffic safety and urban planning of many Smart cities.
Do you want to know more? Read the whole article – click on this link.