How to deal with busy streets in the center of Berlin? Buses, trams, cars, cyclists, pedestrians can be seen everywhere moving without any rules. Is it possible to build car-free, bicycle-friendly & human-oriented city? Macromedia University of Applied Science in Berlin did concentrate on this issue as a part of Master Course Smart City Design and DataFromSky played a key role in the process of analysis of traffic and behavioral patterns and creating proposals for design changes!
How was the whole concept proceed?
Different groups of objects have been defined at the beginning of the analysis. Then a video of chosen intersection or street was taken and analyzed by DataFromSky software. Based on these data new concept of the intersection/street was designed.
Students have chosen different places around Berlin for the analysis. We have decided to choose 3 of them as a Use Case of our DataFromSky Light service.
Crossing Redesign Analysis and Concept
This analysis was done for an Intersection of Köpenicker Straße and Manteuffelstraße. Video from this intersection was analyzed by DataFromSky to get number of objects. Based on obtained data new concept of the people-oriented street was designed. New concept includes 2-Way Bike lane with limited speed, lines for cars & buses with slowing elements and giant crosswalk in the middle of the intersection with light signalization that helps to manage the flow of all participants.
Situation before and after, Author: Anja Lüttmann
Car-Free & Bicycle-Friendly & Human-oriented place
One of the analysis was focused on the heavy used intersection of Kurfürstendamm and Joachimsthaler Straße nearby Berlin city center. The aim of this analysis was to design car-free, bicycle-friendly & human-oriented place. Thanks to DataFromSky software most common vehicle, bicycle paths and pedestrians movements were identified and based on these data new concept of car-free place was designed. See the analysis output below:
Authors: Bensu Ece Tugyan — Tugan Can Tureli
Aim of this analysis was to analyze and design new car-free concept of Bergmanstrasse in Bergmannkiez. The objects (such as Cars, Bicycles and Motorcycles) were analyzed by DataFromSky software – counted, analyzed the trajectories, behavior patterns etc. Based on this analysis new concept of street lanes were defined. See a proposed design below:
Author: Alicia Baeck
Read the whole article from Berlin Macromedia School here.
Do you want to use DataFromSky and analyze the traffic in your city?
Thanks to DataFromSky Light you can get:
– Origin-destination matrix, turn-movements
– gate counting
– stationary time
– recognition of colors of objects
– object classification, up to 16 categories in total
– various export options (Excel, CSV, visualizations)
– …and much more!
Try it now on your own videos – register here.
In case it is not enough for you, try our DataFromSky Aerial service that can provide complete and detailed telemetry data about each traffic participant:
– complete object trajectories (time, position, speed, acceleration in coordinate system UTM or WGS84)
– classification of all objects into 7 main categories (including bicycles and pedestrians)
– vehicle counts via configurable counting gates
– detailed OD matrix and turning movements count in defined directions
– speed and acceleration anywhere in the scene, heatmaps
– lane assignment
– measurement of critical headway (gap) and follow-up headway, capacity estimation
– safety analysis (Time to collision measurement, PET, Heavy breaking), see a video
– many other advanced features!
Do you want to use DataFromSky software or do you have any questions? Do not hesitate to contact us!