A very good summarizing article about the capabilities of DataFromSky and how the advanced image data processing is contributing to optimize the urban mobility has been published on LinkedIn. Several use cases in which the data from the sky might be helpful are described by this article:
– possibility of analyzing the traffic node in terms of traffic safety – based on the detection of risky situations, near accidents and collisions
– analysis of interaction of vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians in public areas such as in surroundings of schools, city centers, bus and train stations etc.
– studies of parking lots utilization, behavior of vehicles in a carpark
– and many other applications which you can think about
To summarize, the greatest benefits of traffic research from the aerial video using advanced software for image processing are:
A) Accurate and detailed data about traffic from the bird’s eye perspective:
– complete trajectory and moving patterns of each traffic participant
– complex OD- matrix – vehicle counts, turning movements
– speed and acceleration profile of each vehicle
– vehicle classification into categories (car / heavy vehicle / bus, / motorcycle etc.)
– measurement of travel time and stationary time (queuing time)
– advanced heatmaps based on the velocity, acceleration, traffic flow
– evaluation of traffic safety (detection of near accidents based on calculation of Time to Collision [TTC], detection of risky situations or inappropriate driving behavior, heavy breaking)
B) Reliable, detailed research without influencing traffic behavior (inconspicuous solution).
C) Ultimate traffic research, almost without a human intervention – based on the machine learning and DNN.
D) Powerful tool which can improve traffic safety and urban planning of many Smart cities.
Do you want to know more? Read the whole article – click on this link.
We never rested on our laurels! Our tool for trajectory interpretation DataFromSky Viewer is being constantly evolved and now comes with few new functionalities!
Multilevel intersection detection
DataFromSky can track vehicles in multilevel roads! As the video shows, we can track all the vehicles even when the visual occlusion appears. DataFromSky can follow the whole trajectory of the car for the tracked time and collect reliable data – average speed, acceleration, gap-time, time to follow, heatmaps or dimensions of vehicles.
Since now, we are able to count the time, for which is the vehicle in a stationary position, in other words, how long the vehicle has to wait until it passes some obstacle (intersection, traffic lights, traffic jam etc.). This figure may help to determine the utilization and load of a traffic junction.
Hight: 81 m, top-down view
Place: multilevel intersection, Kato Varibobi – Greece
Take a look at the video below, demonstrating new useful functionalities of DataFromSky!
DataFromSky is a unique solution for motion analysis of aerial video data. The ability to detect, track and classify moving objects from aerial videos provided by drones, fixed cameras or other video sources opens new possibilities in the field of traffic monitoring. The technology behind is under intensive development and grows more efficient every day through the embedded capability of learning from its mistakes. We are happy to announce that we have made a significant step towards enhanced accuracy thanks to the complex integration of deep neural networks into DataFromSky framework. Our deep neural networks are being trained on millions of samples 24 hours a day. The quality is quite impressive right now!
Our tool for trajectory interpretation DataFromSky Viewer also comes with a new functionality. The new version extracts parameters which are sometimes difficult to obtain, such as gap-time, time to follow, heatmaps, and dimensions of vehicles. We recognize the potential of the data we are able to obtain, and, therefore, co-work on our tools with traffic researchers and traffic engineers worldwide. The video below demonstrates the new functionality of DataFromSky Viewer. Take a look!