An article about DataFromSky appeared in an e-magazine Xataka. This online newsletter focuses on smart solutions in various areas, including smart businesses, smart cities and municipalities, or smart government. The article describes our path to success, how the project DataFromSky originated, what are our achievements and future goals.
The article also describes how the data is collected and what are some special conditions and requirement for the input video for DataFromSky analysis and mentions some legal restrictions for drones and other small UAVs that vary from country to country. Further on, the process of data and trajectory extraction using the DNN and machine learning is simply explained.
Our CEO also explains the future plans and vision of DataFromSky: “We want to apply everything we have learned with our algorithms for detecting vehicles and people in services such as traffic surveillance. And here we are not talking about a post-processed analysis, but monitoring and analyzing the data in real time directly on site. This could be done by drones or by fixed cameras, and would not be limited to detecting excesses of speed. The idea is to be able to determine aggressive driving, a sufficient safety distance between cars, calculate an excess of emissions or something as simple as counting the number of cars that pass through a point in a certain period of time, matched with a license plate. It would be a big evolution of the dreaded traffic cameras that are limited to detecting speeding nowadays.”
For more information, read the full article (available only in the Spanish language) available on this link.
Moreover, we have attended several Smart City conferences with our partners (see below) and we plan to attend several more in upcoming months.
Future of Transportation world conference held in Cologne, Germany, June 20th
Smart Cities Global Technology & Investment Summit 2018 in Algiers, June 28th
DataFromSky team is constantly working on developing and upgrading our software tool for advanced data visualization and interpretation DataFromSky Viewer. We have recently released a new enhanced version of this tool, including many improvements, modifications and new features! The new version of the Viewer is much more user-friendly, we have simplified the structure of the Menu and the main toolbar and make the UI easier to work with.
What are the most important news and features added?
– possibility to export the data in WGS84 coordinates
– measurement of headways both in seconds and in meters (exporting these data to CSV is a matter of course)
– possibility to export the data for all configured gates into one single file,
– possibility to export a video with anonymization regions
– video position is shown also in milliseconds from the start of the video
– added information about the number of currently occurring trajectories in the frame
– video rotation
We have also created a completely new DataFromSky Demo package for you! You can download a free trial version of DataFromSky Viewer with the full functionality directly on our website (go on our homepage and click on “Try and See” at the bottom)! The demo package contains one short sample video of a roundabout and presents what is DataFromSky capable of in its full version:
– creating and definition of counting gates by the user
– classification of all objects (including bicycles or pedestrians)
– advanced export functions into CSV, XLS, AutoCad enabled
– OD matrix/turn count in defined directions – color overlay, excel report for all configured gates
– speeds and acceleration measurement anywhere in the scene – displayed number or colored overlay –> creation of heat maps
– advanced traffic analysis: Time to Follow (Tf) or Gap Time analysis (Tg)
– stationary time measurement and export
– headways measurement and export in seconds and meters
Take a look at this video, where the basic system functionalities are presented to provide you quick and easy introduction to the software environment. Click on this link.
Naturally, we do not rest on our laurels and we are already working on a new version of the Viewer, which includes the advanced Safety analysis and detection of collisions and near accidents. Follow our progress!Read more
Safety is one of the most important aspects of the traffic industry. Many serious traffic incidents happen on the roads worldwide every day. Thanks to the huge amount of traffic information gathered by DataFromSky aerial video analysis we are able to detect near-crash events, traffic conflicts, that statistically occur more frequently than real traffic accidents. By using this proactive approach that focuses on analyzing dangerous traffic situations that can but not necessarily have to lead to a traffic accident it is possible to detect:
– aggressive driver behavior
– offensive lane changing
– short following distances
– collision-prone traffic hub areas
So far, we have implemented some of the standard safety indicators like Time To Collision (TTC), Time Exposed Time To Collision (TET), Time Integrated Time To Collision (TIT) and Post-Encroachment Time (PET) which are used to detect traffic conflicts in spatial-temporal data obtained by DataFromSky aerial video analysis. The standard evaluation of some of these indicators was extended by road users movement prediction that better reflects their behavior and achieves better results. All of the detected traffic conflicts are properly visualized in DataFromSky Viewer where they can be interactively analyzed.
More features regarding the Traffic Safety analysis are coming. The project of Traffic Safety Analysis is jointly developed with the Faculty of Civil Engineering BUT and is supported by Technological Agency of Czech Republic.
Following video demonstrates the capabilities of DataFromSky Traffic Safety Analysis:
Can a drone help you to find a free parking spot more easily? Yes, with DataFromSky Aerial AI!
For many cities all around the world, parking is a major source of revenue but also a primary cause of traffic congestion and sometimes a true nightmare for drivers. In the last few years, many smart parking solutions have been conceived and some of them implemented, such as embedded sensors in the ground that relay to a smartphone when a parking space is available. But instead of tearing up the asphalt to build in these costly sensors, what if cities used drones to monitor parking availability?
Moreover, there is a huge future potential for self-parking autonomous vehicles, that lots of car companies are developing nowadays. On the infrastructure side, there still needs to be information made available to the cars so they know where to park. DataFromSky can easily help with that – detect a free parking spot and easily navigate the autonomous car to that place.
The use of drones is becoming increasingly useful when conducting parking studies, utilizing far less manpower, while collecting more comprehensive data compared to standard methods. The drone video survey can provide additional insights into site conditions that would not be captured otherwise, such as queueing or illegal parking. Short sample of such study using DataFromSky is demonstrated by the following video:
For fixed long-term monitoring of the occupancy of a parking lot in real-time, we at RCE have developed Parking Detection – Technology for Smart Cities.
ParkingDetection is a new and unique smart parking system using AI, that overcomes the limitations of traditional methods of parking management such as inground sensors or overhead sensors. No need for costly pavement work or ground installations! Under the ideal conditions, one smart camera can monitor up to 400 parking spaces at once!
What can Parking Detection offer?
– provides information of individual parking places – real-time occupancy evaluation including vehicle classification
– detects parking rules violations
– supervision of payment discipline – possibility to connect with payment machines
– allow defining your own parking rules, for example:
- a rule for maximum parking time
- a rule for the types of vehicles that can stand in chosen space
– integrates LED info panels and navigates the driver to free parking space
– provides an intuitive web interface for parking management
– offers advanced statistics and reports
– includes a mobile PD application for drivers – navigation to a free parking spot, availability of free spots, payment, personal vehicle monitoring (the driver is informed through our app, if the vehicle is being manipulated)
– app for car park operators or police for better management and supervision of the car park
The whole team of DataFromSky is proud to announce new exclusive partnerships in South and North America! We have gained new strategic partners to start a thriving cooperation with. TADI-US will represent DataFromSky in U.S. states Minnesota and Wisconsin, Cinco de Colombia is operating in the Colombian market. Welcome on board!
TADI-US – Traffic Analysis & Design, Inc., is the premier traffic engineering firm in the region. To their service portfolio belong traffic engineering, traffic impact analysis, corridor studies or signal design and control. They are also active in the field of traffic safety. Contact TADI on email@example.com.
Cinco de Colombia
Cinco. is a research and consulting company that develops and implements state-of-the-art technology for the execution of its projects in many fields. Their goal is to permanently search for new engineering advances that guarantee the highest possible precision within optimal processes. The contact person for Cinco. is Mr. Javier Visbal Martínez Ing. Mag., who can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org.